There is something nostalgic about rail travel, as South Africans we are spoilt with an awesome rail service, hundreds of people use it every day to commute to work, drop kids at school or even travel long distance.
Take the Train to Matjiesfontein, WHY because its so fricken COOL… Sonja Herrold even wrote a song about it! Ok … Well let’s just say that the song is not as fabulous as the journey…
So this is how it works…
1. Gather some matjies or your partner, and book your train tickets through Shosholoza Meyl on 0860008888.
2. Call up the Lord Milner Hotel in Matjiesfontein or check out the variety of accommodation available on their website and get your (happy, dancing face) on cause you are about to have a blast!
- Clothing – keep it simple it is after all the Karoo, if you are a fancy dresser pack something Victorian for the evening
- Padkos – the train has a fully equipped dining car, however you are welcome to take your own food and drinks
- Camera – essential for the memories
What to do? Matjiesfontein is rich with heritage and history, book a tour of Matjiesfontein on the red Double Decker London bus, and visit the car museum which has a lovely vintage collection. In the evening, dine in the Lord Milner dining hall, and then dance to old favourite sing-along folk songs in The Lairds Arms Bar.
It’s a journey you will never forget.